Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 2- Everything is New

It's Day 2 of our new life here in Cambodia....
We flew on 2 airplanes and spent 22 hours trying to get here. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep much and neither did the little one, but whatever. We sat next to this awesome Korean Grandma who helped me with Ella-Jean and made sure the flight attendants got us everything we needed.

I had been pretty non-emotional about this whole ordeal. I didn't cry when I said goodbye to anyone or get sentimental much at all. That is... until Ella-Jean fell asleep on the flight and I turned on The Karate Kid. That was when I lost it and started sobbing like a big goon. Haha. I needed that sob session though.





We got into Phnom Penh at 11pm. My hair was greasy, my face had that dirty glow, I hadn't slept in over 24 hours, but I was so happy we made it I couldn't get the dorky grin off my face. A girl from the ywam base met us at the airport, and we took a taxi to our new home.

It's hotter than I thought it would be, much hotter. I love Cambodians. It's actually a lot dirtier than I thought it would be. And I think we're gonna be just fine here.

We took a tuktuk into town again today, bought some things we needed at some stores, stopped for ice cream and had lunch at KFC, all by ourselves. Right now, Ella-Jean is taking her afternoon nap...right on schedule. She saw some kids outside today and wanted to meet them, so off we went. We don't speak a word of Khmer, and they didn't speak a word of English, but it didn't seem to matter.



We're adapting and adjusting and it's going alright. It's a little lonely. And I'm a wee bit homesick, but I'm so grateful to be here that I'm motivated to pull through. There's no hot water, I guess they don't mind cold showers here. I mind them, but I'll get over it. Right now we don't have any air conditioning in our room either, but I'm trying to pull some strings and get us some, its just too hot. We are taking this week to rest and find our way around the city. We will start "official" ministry next week.

5 comments:

  1. so happy to see your first post! i'm sorry you are lonely, but know that me and jeff and about 1.5 million other people are thinking about you and wishing you well. you are going to have such an amazing adventure! and all in the name of God. i'm jealous! ok, jealousy is a bad feeling so i'll say that i feel complete joy knowing that you are there.

    and holy cow, those pictures of ella jean! she is growing like a weed!!! she is so cute making that funny face at you on the plane and then riding in the tuktuk ...(i'm assuming that's what it is??) she is priceless.

    and so are you.

    -kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh... the picture of EJ's face on the plane is PRICELESS!! LOVE all the pics, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep toughing it out, the homesickness will fade away soon enough. Before you know it, Cambodia will feel better than home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the the look Ella Jean giving you on the plane something her Uncle Jeff taught her? I love her playing with her new friends. Peace to you as you go about finding your way around the destination you will, for now, call home!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. your kid is so cute I can't stand it. and way to go, by the way. I just read "terrify no more". cambodia is going to be rad.

    ReplyDelete