Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 25: Feels Like Home

It's like my nose is flesh up against this giant canvas and I'm trying to describe to you what the picture looks like. All I can see are these teeny little details directly in front of my face.

We are doing quite well. I feel very comfortable here. I love the rhythm of this city. It's loud, chaotic, crazy, but it all flows. We have our grocery store, our atm, our favorite restaurant, our church, our small group. Our lives feel so established already which brings about a feeling of predictability and comfort.

However, there have been some changes to our ministry. After spending a few days in the slums, and after talking to some people here, after prayer, and after listening to my own motherly instincts, I've decided that we can no longer participate in this ministry on a regular basis. I found that my daughters safety was at such a risk, she required 100% supervision and I was not able to focus on anyone else or anything else, leaving me simply ineffective.

Today we visited a childrens home, another name for an orphanage. It's a Christian ministry established by a very American family from Carthage, Missouri. Sometimes you just know when something is right, I had been sensing all week that this was going to be a very good fit for us, even before we had visited, and when we got there today, I knew instantly.

There are 24 children living there, and they are homeschooled. Their teacher is leaving on furlough this weekend and they have been praying for someone to step in, but had not found anyone. It was quite obvious, once we started talking, that I was the answer to their prayers, and they were an answer to mine. Definitely a God orchestrated thing.

So I will be teaching about 15 children who live in this home everyday, while Ella-Jean plays with the younger children in a much safer, protected environment. 2 words: Praise God.

You know that verse, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart"?...... You can stake your life on that verse.

5 comments:

  1. Now that is pretty awesome! Praying for you and EJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay God!! I am happy you and EJ found a place where you are needed and that Daddy orchestrated the exact timing in such a way as to bless you when you needed it! :-) I pray blessings and peace upon your ministry to the children and upon you and EJ in this new ministry opportunity!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy and excited about this! "He delights in you"! I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Your new position sounds like a fantastic fit for both you and EJ. It is amazing where faith can lead you.

    ReplyDelete