In my efforts to read a memoir a week, I checked out The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom from the local library. This book will change your life, fyi.
Towards the very end of the story, she describes watching her sister die in a concentration camp. As I laid there in the dark of the night crying and visualizing this horrific scene, my own sister was on my heart. I had to use all my strength to hush my sobs, so as to not wake up my child sleeping in her crib next to me.
As some of you already know, my sister and I have had a very strained relationship for the last 3 years. There have been attempts to reconcile, but it's all felt very hopeless for a while now.
I started to feel both conviction and sadness. Conviction for my part in things, sadness for what could be and what is. I started praying for her (which unfortunately is not something I do very often, just out of hopelessness, pride and frustration I suppose) and I prayed for her till I fell asleep that night.
I woke up the next morning to an email from my brother letting me know our sisters coffee-shop had burned to the ground, and it was most likely arson. It all felt kinda eery to me, the timing of it all, you know?
The more I thought about what she must be going through, the more I realized this could be a golden opportunity. So I went to Target and bought her a sympathy card. Since our last contact we had was December of '08, and it is now May of '10, sending a card is a big deal. I've been praying for her heaps over the last few days as well. Nothing weird, just for blessings and good things for her; Sensing that God is moving and now is the time to buckle down and pray ferverently and with sincerity. Because I miss my sister and I want her in my life, and I want good things for her.
Well...GUESS WHO CALLED ME TODAY completely out of the blue! Guess who talked for over an hour! Guess who laughed together for the first time in years! And I haven't even sent the card yet, it's still sitting on my desk, all I did was pray!
I'm just thinking, this could be the start of something good, wouldn't you agree?
Elise that is so good! God is so wonderful! It will only continue to get better too :-D
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness. my mom just emailed me and let me know that she read your blog and how it talks about you and diana's relationship. i had no idea this happened! and the miracle of her coming to you before you even got the chance to reach out to her? God does work in amazing and mysterious ways.
ReplyDeleteI agree. That is awesome! Hoping things continue to move in a positive direction in your relationship
ReplyDeleteThat's so great - God is neat that way. Some similar things have been happening in my life lately. Hmm...
ReplyDelete